Saturday, December 14, 2013

Stir fry chicken with Japanese salt plums

 I make too much sweets last week, well I have a habit of repeating a recipe (last week was a chocolate choux recipe, haha) when I think I can do something more with it, adjusting, then I endup with choux stuffed refrigerator. 

 So, I have to play with something else now, and if I can't bake, I cook. When I started cooking (a long time ago) I didn't understand anything but whenever I cook I always blow away and ended up with something strange (not inedible but something that everyone never expected). It's not that we have to follow the recipe word by word but cooking is about right heat and right seasoning, you can imagine but at least you need to know the right method. Now I know that cooking is not hard and I can be happy in the kitchen ^^. 
I love food with a bit of sweetness and this recipe is the right answer. Salty, sour and sweet come together in one dish. This time I use the Umeboshi as the key ingredient for my dish.
Umeboshi is pickled ume fruit (Japanese plum), the taste is less salty from Chinese version of the salt pickled plums, with a hint of sourness. 
The onion become sweet after cooking, the taste of the dish goes very well with something plain as rice, serve it with a bowl of cooked rice, and enjoy the simple and delicious meal. 


Umeboshi (Japanese salt plums)

Stir fry chicken with Japanese salt plums
Serve 2-3 

200g ............................. Chicken thighs, skin on, without bone, cut into pieces
1/2 ................................ Onion, sliced
2-3 ................................ Umeboshi (Japanese salt plums), stoned finely chopped*
1tbsp ............................ Sesame oil
2tbsp ............................ Water
2tbsp ............................ Shoyu
2tbsp ............................ Sake
2tbsp ............................ Mirin
1tsp ............................... Sugar
*more or less depend on the size of the Umeboshi


Mix Japanese salt plums with water, shoyu, Sake, Mirin and sugar.
Place the pan over medium heat, pour sesame oil into the pan.
When the pan is hot, put the chicken pieces into the pan, skin side down, fry until the skin brown. Put the sliced onion into the pan stir until soften, pour the Japanese salt plums mixture into the pan stir until combine. Lower the heat and let the sauce boil until thicken.
When the sauce is thicken remove from the heat.
Serve with cooked rice.


Stir fry chicken with Japanese salt plums

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...