Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Caramel Buttercream and Maple syrup layers Cake: The must try cake for the caramel lover!

You might notice that I have a lot of caramel related recipe, well you can blame my sister ^^. Every time that I talk about the recipe that contain caramel or have a caramel in its name, she will tell me to make it, haha.  
This time, sine I got the book about a month ago, and I told her that I bought this book because of her, she asked for something from the book. Ok, I can tell you the truth that I really bought it for myself, ^^", but it will be better when you said that kind of thing, right? So, I needed to do something!


But it's not hard for me to choose the recipe that I want to try, this book is full of yummy idea (both easy and hard, and for the dessert or food!). I choose the recipe that catch my eyes most,The Caramel Buttercream and Maple syrup layers Cake. The reason for this cake is simple, first it's look good, haha and can be a show piece (esp. when you want to show off), second, it's easy. 
All the hazelnut praline will make the people say "Wow", even it's easy to make (real easy, but the only thing is you have to be caution, like every time that you work with the caramel, it's so so hoooooooot).


I adjust the recipe to suit my family (well, I bake almost everyday, so you can imagine that I need the cake to be small enough to finish real soon, ^^) and my taste, and the key is the buttercream. I add a lot of the mascarpone and I think I love it, ^^, the only down side is the texture of the buttercream is not smooth. But don't worried, it won't effect the taste, when you eating it, all of them will melt into lovely rich buttercream, and I know that you will believe me that it's better to taste good than looking perfect, haha.











CARAMEL BUTTER CREAM AND MAPLE SYRUP LAYER CAKE
Make 18cm (4layers cake)




For the cake
200g ................................. all-purpose flour 
160g .................................. soft brown sugar
80g .................................... white superfine sugar 
4 ........................................ eggs 
250g .................................. salted butter, softened 
1tsp ................................... baking powder


For the caramel butter cream 
220g .................................. icing (confectioner's) sugar
125g ................................... butter, softened 
2tbsp .................................. liquid caramel 
............................................. (store-bought, or you can make by yourself from, here)
140g ................................... mascarpone


For the caramelized hazelnuts 
40g ..................................... hazelnuts, shelled and toasted (in the oven or in a skillet) 
15 ml .................................. water
85g ..................................... granulated sugar 


40 ml ................................. maple syrup


Preheat tne oven to 180°C.
Grease and flour two 18cm. sponge pans. 
Sift the flour and baking powder together, set aside.









Beat the butter 2 kinds of sugar, add the eggs and all the flour mixture, fold to combine. with 
Divide the mixture between the pans and bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until the surface of the cakes is golden brown.








Check they are cooked by inserting the blade of a knife into the center, it should comes out clean.
Remove the cakes from the oven and leave to stand for a few minutes before turning  them out of the pans and leaving to cool completely on wire rack.









 To make the butter cream, beat the sugar and soften butter until the mixture is smooth. Add the caramel and mascarpone to slacken and froth up the butter cream. Allow to set in the refrigerator for a few minutes, if necessary. 









Make the caramelized hazelnut 
Spread the hazelnut on a silicone liner. Boil the water ard sugar until they turn into amber  and pour over the hazelnuts, and leave to set.  Then break the caramelized hazelnut praline into pieces.








Cut each cake in half to obtain 4 rounds.
Spread the buttercream on each of 3 cake rounds,reserving a larger for the topping. Place the rounds one on top of the other, adding the extra portion of the buttercream to the top layer and leave to set.
Use the praline to decorate the cake. Just before serving, drizzle the maple syrup over cake and let it run down the sides. 



Caramel Buttercream and Maple syrup layers Cake: 
The must try cake for the caramel lover!

4 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake looks really divine. This is my first visit to your blog. I've spent some time reading your earlier post. I'm so glad I did. I really love your recipes and the tone of your blog. I'll be back often. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. the cake looks so pretty and yummy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was looking for something EXTRA special to make for my father-in-law's birthday (from me and my baby girl of 9 months) and this cake is PERFECT! I wanted something that looked fantastic and that would please the whole family's taste buds...thank you, I can't wait to make and create this stunning cake. <3

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...